Sans pita chips…adapted from Fine Cooking No. 83, January 2007 This is a really tasty dip. I know because I’m eating it right now. Turns out our two little eggplant plants are quite prolific. I’ve just put a dollop on some Carr’s crackers but my original intention was to sub frozen TJ’s naan for the pita chips. Now to find the naan… stupid freezer.
- 2 Tbsp EVOO (plus more for pan)
- 2-3 small eggplants trimmed and cut in half lengthwise
- kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 squirts of anchovy paste or a scant half teaspoon (optional)
- 1 small clove garlic
- 1 can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 Tbsps lemon juice
- 2 Tbsps chopped fresh parsely
Oil both sides of the eggplant well and season the flesh side with salt and pepper. Broil the eggplants flesh side down for about 20 minutes or until the skin is charred. Once cooked, set them aside to cool slightly.
While the eggplant broils and cools, whiz the anchovy paste and garlic together in a food processor. Add the rinsed and drained beans and puree and the 2 tbsps of evoo. When the eggplant has cooled add it to the beans and puree. Add the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the parsley and serve.