I finally got around to finishing this little chair project for Chase. I had already cut and assembled it but ended up taking it apart and completely reconstructing it when my plans for using bias tape coordinating with the seat fell apart. I tried, I really tried but after the second failed attempt I had to call it quits. I just didn’t plan ahead for the bias tape and only had scraps to work with. That being said I’m much happier with the way it turned out without the bias tape. It’s a completely fly by the seat of your pants design and I’m really happy with how it turned out.
The backing is a green fleece type fabric from a blazer that was my mothers. I’ve been moving the jacket around with me for a long time. It was one of the samples constructed from her designs that she would bring home from work and even though it’s probably the only one I have I was ready to part with it in its jacket form. It wasn’t something that I could wear. I mean, it’s possible that shoulder pads could come back and that I could rock them in an olive green blazer but I just don’t like the odds on that. So I cut. I did save the tag from the inside and all the buttons I’ll use those on some other project later.
The front side is made of linen that I bought at Ikea. I made the seat pad earlier using cotton quilted together with a few layers of craft felt as batting. I followed the same process of measuring and cutting for the back only this time I constructed it by turning under the linen piece 1/4 inch all the way around and then stitching the front and back wrong sides together with a blanket stitch.
On Saturday I came into some chintz that a neighbor was willing to part with that’s where the applique bird and bugs come from. I just stitched them down with a blanket stitch and sewed on some bias tape ties.
Chase was adequately impressed and pleased with her little friends and so we are all very happy about it. I found the little stool at Goodwill on Saturday. I never find cute stuff like that and it matches! I picked up a set of retro canisters too for storing upstairs craft supplies. See you in hell shoeboxes!
Hmm.. I would have bet money that I posted about the bottom part of the seat when I finished it but I guess not. It’s hard to see but I machine stitched in her initial using contrasting thread.