neurosesgalore.com

Saturday, November 22nd, 2008

All You Ever Wanted to Know about 1X1 Knit Rib

So I finished the mittens.  The first looked pretty good and I thought that would make the second one a breeze.  However, as it turns out it’s an extremely sad and sorry excuse for a mitten.  Actually, the mitten’s ok but it has a sad and sorry excuse for a thumb.  It’s hiding its shame in the picture.

The only good thing to come of the whole painful exercise is that I learned something new to add to my knitting repertoire.  Knitting in the round on a mess of double pointed needles is not as hard as it seems and there are plenty of good resources and tutorials out there on how to do it.  There’s nothing new I can tell you about that.  What had me totally stumped was working the 1×1 ribbing.  I had to cast on about 6 times before I figured out what the problem was.  I would cast on, count to make sure everything was right and start knitting… knit, purl, knit, purl, I would look at my work and it would be a horrid tangle of stitches and twice as many as I started with.  I couldn’t figure it out anywhere.  It’s the whole don’t be stupid when you’re knitting thing I mentioned before.  It’s so totally intuitive but when you’re freaking out and frustrated it just might not come to you… it sure didn’t come to me.  The secret is that you have to reposition your yarn with every single stitch because you’re moving back and forth between knit and purl stitches (unless there’s an easier way… someone please fill me in).  I knit English method so for purl stitches I had to make sure to move the yarn to the inside between the two working needles.  Like this… the two working needles are under my index finger.

 …and like this for knit stitches  

The two working needles are over my index finger in the second picture.  It’s kinda hard to take pictures of yourself knitting.  Anyway, I’ve got it down now and I’m actually considering casting on another pair because obviously I’m a glutton for punishment.  

Here’s one last shot of the snowflakes we made during the flurries on Friday.  Chase colored and I cut.  Pretty low tech but she’s pretty proud of them.


Related Posts: