Saturday, December 27th, 2008

Our Holiday

Christmas came and went in a whirlwind frenzy of preparation.  We didn’t host anything and didn’t end up traveling anywhere and yet I still felt an overwhelming sense of relief sweep over as soon as all the presents were opened.  Ben and I opened our gifts while we were wrapping on Christmas Eve.  We have this problem anytime there are gifts in the house with us but this time we rationalized it because in my family gifts were traditionally opened on Christmas Eve so we agreed to continue it on this way until Chase is old enough to not care about Santa anymore.  The picture is Chase coming down the stairs first thing in the morning.  Gotta love that bedhead.

The whole Santa charade is surprisingly difficult to a) craft and b) maintain but I’m glad to know I’m not the only person that struggles with it.  Santa was good to Chase though and she is particularly happy with her new kitchen and she seems to really like the food I made for her.  I also bought her a tea set that is probably way too old for her but she loves it, it was on clearance and I just don’t think she would enjoy it as much without making everybody ‘juicey.’  The other thing about our Christmas was the piss poor planning that led to a looong Christmas day spent at home just the three of us which was nice but we’re not accustomed to being stuck in the house without going out.  I mean everything was closed and it was too cold for the park.

 To make up for it we went to the aquarium on Friday.  As a family gift we decided to buy a family membership.  At first I just bough tickets but in the two or so hours that we were there we only covered half of the place and decided a return trip would be in order.  The aquarium will let you retroactively apply your admission toward the purchase of a membership on the same day so we went for it.  You only have to make two visits in a year to make the membership worthwhile.  It everyone’s first visit to the aquarium.  What an amazing place.  Chase was totally blown away by, and I would list the exhibits here but it was literally by, all of it.  Well, all of it except for the dolphin show.  The dolphins really freaked her out and she would only cast sidelong glances with her cheek pressed firmly against daddy’s chest.  Maybe she was worried that we were in the splash zone or maybe she was worried that they would jump out and into the audience, who knows.  I thought they were spectacular even if they did almost make me cry.  These bubble columns were awesome.  Could these kids be any happier?

Which, for that matter leads me to my next bit of info which is to finally just up and say that we’re expecting a new little addition to our family sometime in early  August.  It’s taken me a long time to get comfortable with the idea of saying that publicly because I even with Chase I felt so much anxiety during the first trimester but I’m slowly growing more comfortable.  We’re only about 9 weeks in at this point but very excited.  Ben says he still doesn’t want to find out the sex of the baby.  I thought it was just part of the novelty of the first pregnancy but apparently not.  Go ahead and find out if you want to he says but I just don’t think that will work.   

Meanwhile, I’m starting to remember what it’s like to pass out at 8 and sleep straight through the next 12 hours only getting up occasionally to pee.  That part’s the same but a lot of things are different too.  I think I’m experiencing a lot more muscle pain this time and even though I haven’t been sick even once I feel nauseated more often.  It’s sort of strange.  In any event, this holiday season brought us many things to be thankful for.  So, I put it out there even if most of you already knew.  So here’s to the next 4 (or 5?) weeks passing swiftly.    

Related Posts: