My camera is home! Maybe by way of East Aurora, NY where we left it, St. Catharines, Ontario where it hung out for a while and then Batavia, NY where it was returned to me outside a Tim Hortons but she is home nonetheless. And with all our vacation photos on it! I kinda wish the guy who found it had taken a photo of himself and not just of the grass where he found it. His good deed totally merits a reward but I have no idea who the good samaritan is.
The lake was wonderful as always. There was swimming and digging in the sand, in the muck, kite flying, campfires and visiting with aunts, uncles and cousins. It feels like we spent most of the month of July away. It was hard on everyone but I know these are special times for my kids. In a few weeks there won’t be any more time for staying up late and roasting marshmallows. We’ve already started preliminary discussions about lunch boxes.
We spent a week at Keuka Lake too swimming, exploring and visiting wineries. The finger lakes region is awesome. My top 10 (ok, 13) for the Keuka Lake region in no particular order:
- Bath, NY fish hatchery demonstration pond (bring quarters)
- Curtiss museum (stuff to do if it rains… watch the short movie)
- Slush Puppies and “penny candy” (bring more than a penny)
- The playground… any playground. They’re all cool.
- ReThreads (where I found the CUTEST vintage Health-tex!)
- Centre Street Smokehouse (FOOD!)
- Hunt Country Vineyards chocolate and wine tasting (genius)
- Chat-A-Whyle Restaurant (we always visit this spot)
- Hammondsport Main Street (America’s coolest small town)
- One Potato Two (antiques!)
- Ice cream/custard (stop everywhere stop often)
- Milly’s Pantry (doing great work)
- Fingerlakes Brewing Company (watermelon wheat!)
We had a great time, such a lovely place. It’s hard not to miss it.