neurosesgalore.com

Posts Tagged ‘Bennetts Summer Wardrobe’

Monday, July 22nd, 2013

Kids Clothes Week :: Wrapping It Up

Last week was Kids Clothes Week (don’t count of me for timely news or reminders) and I really tried to sew along. Really, the whole thing is about devoting an hour to sewing a day for a week and that’s not so bad, right? I very much wanted to keep sewing my way through some of the fabric that I picked up recently and I feel like I’ve done a good job of that this summer! I only have two or three more yards that I should really try to do something with. Not too shabby.

First, the nautical dress with the anchor applique. I used a vintage McCalls pattern (that came complete with three iron-on transfers that are still begging to be ironed on to something) to make a simple A-line jumper.

anchor 2

Then I dyed a white cotton dress that I picked up. I was shooting for an ombre effect which I achieved with moderate success. I used a denim colored dye and the sailboat applique seemed fitting.

ombre

Finally, only three years after picking up the issue of Stitch magazine that featured the pattern, I made the Oliver+S ruffle halter. I love it. It’s not exactly right. I had a number of make it work moments. I wanted to badly to use this gray bias gingham but the ruffles are cut on the bias so I lost the whole effect. (Haha, that’s funny grammar but not inaccurate.) I want to list all the ways that I botched this pattern but they are too numerous. You can see that the proportions are a bit off in the photo and that’s from all of my meddling. The O+S patter itself, as always, is fab. I will probably make another one of these before the summer’s over. I just wish it hadn’t taken me three years to finally get to it. That’s a little ridiculous.

sad face

I love this picture. It’s my favorite of them all.

 

Related Posts:

Sunday, April 28th, 2013

KCW :: Roly Poly Pinafore

IMG_0995

IMG_0985

Ohmygoodness! My girl Rachael developed this pattern and was sweet enough to send me a copy. I was nervous. I’ve never really sewn anything from a pattern that I printed at home. After I printed the pattern I was still nervous. I couldn’t tell, just looking at the stack of paper, how it was supposed to go together but it’s all in the instructions. I was so happy! It took no time at all to put the pattern together after that. I was even inspired to trace the pattern for the size I needed rather than cutting out the paper so now I can make one for Avery without printing it out again.

I am super happy with how this turned out! It’s cute, cute, cute on the baby. I put it over a teeshirt and bloomers but in the summer it will be fine for her to wear it without an undershirt (I don’t know if bigger kids can pull that off). I didn’t add the pockets so I cut it out in just two pieces. It’s a lot of sewing but it’s crazy easy to put together. I was able to put it together in a single evening. Though, as always, I may have skimped on *ahem* attention to detail. That was a lot of top stitching! But I know you’re up for it. I also had to fudge the straps a little so I did the buttons and button holes backwards. Meaning the buttons are on the back straps instead of the front. In short, there were some hang ups but they were all of my own making. The pattern is great and instructions are totally clear and easy to use and follow.

I’m so glad that she encouraged me to try this pattern, I love it. It’s also cool because it’s reversible. The hexie fabric is a yard of Quilt Blocks fabric that I think I picked up at G Street by Ellen Luckett Baker and the floral reverse I bought at Mood while I was pregnant. I’ve used so much of my stash this week that I treated myself to a yard of new fabric today! But just one.

rppf

IMG_0997

Related Posts:

Wednesday, April 24th, 2013

Vintage Baby :: Simplicity 1813

front outside

It’s Kids Clothes Week! This time I didn’t even sign up (because keeping it real). HOWEVER, I did happen to make this romper and it does happen to be KCW so I’m calling it even. I just won’t bother to title the post “Day 3!” as if I’m even a little bit optimistic about their being any subsequent days. I’m just sayin, maybe there will be any maybe there won’t.

Simplicity 1813 is a vintage repro pattern for baby girl summer clothes. I love a good romper and the one included with this pattern is super quick and easy. I loved making this! It was a breeze. There are only two pattern pieces and if I hadn’t been using a directional print I would have had it cut out in no time. Stupid, stupid directional prints. I used not quite a yard of Opal Owl by Free Spirit that I bought at Lake Country Patchwork last summer. I simplified it a little by using fold over elastic at the legs instead of making a casing (best modification ever!) and by using diaper velcro instead of snap tape at the crotch (I just cut it in half to make it narrow enough to fit.)

I can’t decide if I should make another romper or try one of the little tunics. I’m thinking another romper in a light gray bias gingham that I have no other plans for.

back leg

 

walking

Related Posts: